The Progressive Caucus will hold a special election to elect a new Northern Vice-Chair on the weekend July 13-15 when the Executive Board of the CDP meets in Oakland. As per Progressive Caucus bylaws requirements, there will be an election to fill the vacant position.
Interested Candidates Must Inform the Progressive Caucus Board by June 13th.
If you are interested in running for the position of Northern Vice-Chair, Caucus bylaws (Article III, Sections C and D) require you notify the Caucus Board 30 days prior to the vote or by June 13th, 2018.
By June 13th, all interested candidates should send an email declaring their intention to run for Northern Vice-Chair to Marcy Winograd, Secretary of the Progressive Caucus, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should include their full name, address, email, phone number, and assembly district number, and fill out this online application form.
According to Caucus bylaws, those who wish to run for office must be members in good standing for a minimum of 30 days prior to the vote. Candidates for office must complete an Officer Candidate application and sign a Confidentiality Agreement, both of which will be provided once the Board has received a declaration of intention to run.
Duties of the Vice-Chair
Article III: Officers, Section A.1.b.i. One (1) Northern Vice Chair: :
- One (1) Northern Vice Chair
Northern Region shall consist of Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Marin, Mendocino, Modoc, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo, and Yuba Counties.
Article III: Officers, Section B: Duties of Officers, 2:
Vice Chairs: The Vice-Chairs shall assist the Chair in carrying out the Chair’s duties and serve as Senior Representatives in their respective regions. These responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Upon the Chair’s absence, one of the Vice Chairs, selected by the Chair on an ad-hoc basis, shall serve as Chair pro-tem;
- Responsibility for overseeing and organizing their respective Regions as set forth in these Bylaws. Organizing activities shall include, but not be limited to, communication, outreach, education, advocacy for issues, projects and campaigns promoted by the Caucus;
- Appointing leaders in their Regions based on Counties or Assembly Districts to act as point persons for communicating events and actions to and from the Caucus, and to assist in duties as deemed necessary by the Chair.
- Reporting activities in their Regions to the Board at least once a month and to their Regional Members at all Membership meetings.
Late nominations, including nominations from the floor, shall be accepted only if no timely Notices of intent to run for a particular office have been filed, or all those who have timely filed have either withdrawn their nominations or have failed to appear in person.
All registered Democrats who meet these membership requirements are eligible to vote:
A. The individual is a registered California Democrat,
B. Indicates, at the time of their joining, support of the Purpose and Statement of Principles of the Caucus as stated in the bylaws
C. Pays the dues in effect at the time the individual joins the Caucus or has them waived, and
D. Agrees to the terms of the Bylaws.