Zepher Teachout – Law Professor Fordham Univ. New York –
CAMPAIGN FINANCE & CORRUPTION
Zephyr Teachout is a nationally recognized leader in the fight against corruption in government. She’s stood up to powerful interests and raised up the voices of those left behind by our broken political system. Recent water contamination crises in local communities like Hoosick Falls and Peterborough are an urgent reminder that the chemical industry’s domination of federal policy, at the expense of water quality, has put the safety of our drinking water at risk. She’ll bring that fight to Congress by: • Fighting for public financing of elections.
• Working every day to overturn Citizens United.
• Closing the “revolving door,” in which elected representatives and senior staff sell off their legislative power for high-paying lobbying jobs. Stop them from negotiating jobs while in office, and once they leave, bar them from all lobbying activity for several years.
PROTECTING PUBLIC EDUCATION
Zephyr Teachout grew up in a small town and went to a great public elementary school and high school. Her teachers were demanding. But they were also attentive, because they had the time and support to see each child and teach us not only the basics, but also about creativity and the responsibilities that all people have to each other. The teachers themselves, along with the parents, had a real say in defining and measuring our progress. After college, She worked as a special education teacher’s aide in a rural public school, and saw the hurdles to learning posed by emotional challenges at home. A top-down, highly regimented testing regime like Common Core, would not have worked for all those children, in large part because it would have straight-jacketed teachers, instead of allowing them to respond to particular needs. Zephyr believes we need to strengthen our local public schools and push resources and decision making down to the principals, teachers, and parents who know how to educate their children best. In Congress, she’ll work for better public schools by:
• Stopping government overreach on local public education and demand that federal officials stop dictating how we educate our own children here in the Hudson Valley.
• Fighting against Common Core curriculum and oppressive high stakes testing.
• Ensuring parents and teachers are involved in the decisions affecting our children.
FIGHTING FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY
Protecting our air and our water is a public health imperative, a national security imperative, an economic imperative and a moral imperative. The catastrophic risks posed by climate change are real, and unless we take immediate steps to steer ourselves onto a different course, we will keep exposing ourselves – and our most vulnerable citizens 2016 Progressives to Elect – to immense harm. Recent water contamination crises in local communities like Hoosick Falls and Petersburgh are an urgent reminder that the federal government has a central role to play in protecting safe drinking water. Zephyr Teachout has worked alongside community leaders throughout the Catskills and Hudson Valley to organize successfully for the state ban against fracking, and is a vocal advocate for renewable energy investments. In Congress, she’ll keep on fighting for:
• Adopting clean sources of energy by ending the intricate system of public subsidies that keeps dirty sources of energy artificially cheap, and instead promote renewable sources: solar, wind, and hydro.
• Protecting our waterways and drinking supply by reducing the risk of contamination, giving residents better information about existing risks and ensure that when contamination is found, the responsible parties are held accountable.